Join our President’s spouse Nancy Kuncl and art student Landon Duarte on a field trip to the fabulous Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), pleasantly situated in Hancock Park on over 20 acres in the heart of Los Angeles. Since its inception in 1965, LACMA has been devoted to collecting works of art that span both history and geography, in addition to representing Los Angeles's uniquely diverse population. Today, LACMA is the largest art museum in the western United States with a collection that includes over 120,000 objects dating from antiquity to the present, encompassing the geographic world and nearly the entire history of art. One of the museum’s knowledgeable docents will conduct a private tour for our group.
After the tour, you will enjoy a culinary adventure at LACMA’s restaurant, Ray’s. Ray's and Stark Bar has been hailed by the Los Angeles Times as “a feast for the senses.” The Mediterranean-inspired menu includes dishes from the restaurant’s wood-burning oven and grill, with an emphasis on farm-to-table, seasonal fare from executive chef Kris Morningstar.
Enjoy the exhibits and visit the museum store after lunch to wrap up the day. The shuttle will return the group to Redlands with time to relax before dinner.
On Wednesday morning we’ll stay closer to home. Join Nancy Kuncl and Larry Burgess, a University of Redlands Trustee and noted Redlands historian, for a tour of historic Redlands with stops at the A.K. Smiley Public Library and Lincoln Shrine Memorial.
The architectural treasure known as A.K. Smiley Public Library opened in 1898 thanks to Alfred Smiley, one of Redlands’ winter residents from the east. It is not only a library but a repository of history. Visit the reading room with its rose window and timber arches overhead. Stroll through the children’s library and be charmed by its stained glass windows featuring scenes from favorite childhood classics.
Across the park, you will find the Lincoln Memorial Shrine. The Lincoln Memorial Shrine was originally designed in an octagon shape by noted Southern California architect Elmer Grey in 1932. The construction of reinforced concrete was faced with Bedford, Indiana limestone plates upon which are inscribed excerpts from Lincoln’s speeches. Although the original plan called for 75 foot long patio wings to extend from each side of the Shrine, complete with fountains, benches, and additional inscriptions, it was not until 1937 that these areas were added. The additions were crafted from the same material used in the octagon with the Indiana limestone selected to match before leaving the quarry. As originally planned, these patio areas featured additional excerpts from Lincoln’s speeches inscribed into the walls and fountains designed by respected American sculptor Merrill Gage.
We’ll return to campus in time to join the 11:30 a.m. State of the Consortium, the opening event for NAC&U’s 2014 Summer Institute.